As you know, I consult with churches across the nation. I love doing this and since I’m not currently on staff full-time at a local church, I get to do this more frequently (and it provides for my family). My friend, Alan Danielson, recently blogged about hiring a consultant. He’s a great consultant, too and the small groups guru for the Church. I suggest you get to know him. He’s in my blogroll to the right. Check out what he said in a recent blog post:
In my line of work Iâ€™ve learned there are three primary reasons people donâ€™t hire consultants:
- They think they canâ€™t afford a consultant.
- They think they donâ€™t need advice from someone who isnâ€™t living in their shoes.
- They donâ€™t think they have time to mess with consulting and coaching.
Hereâ€™s why these three assumptions are wrong:
- Consultants are often willing to negotiate rates. Â Consultants would rather work for a discounted rate than not work. Â If you donâ€™t like the rates they offer, make a counter offer. Â Maybe theyâ€™d be willing to use some of their airline miles or stay in your extra bedroom. Â Maybe theyâ€™ll knock off a percentage in exchange for some word-of-mouth advertising.
- Consultants bring a fresh perspective. Sometimes the best advice comes from people who arenâ€™t walking in your shoes. Â Itâ€™s easy to get so caught up in your own circumstances that you canâ€™t see your blind spots. Â Consultants can see those blind spots quickly and help you avoid them.
- Consultants help you earn your pay. The leader is an organizationâ€™s greatest asset. Â You invest in your team because they are a great asset. Â You invest in marketing, product development and customer relations because all of these are assets. Â Sadly, most leaders spend little or no money investing in themselves. Â What a tragedy!! Â Without great leadership your organization will go nowhere. Â You canâ€™t afford NOT to hire a consultant. Â Hiring a consultant is like bringing a conference to youâ€¦a custom-made conference just for your context. Â Consultants make you better and what you do and therefore make you worth your salary.
Think about the biggest problem you are facing right now. Â A consultant can help with that! Â Think about the toughest leadership decision youâ€™re facing right now. Â A consultant can help with that!
Consultants can help you figure out:
- Why your organization isnâ€™t growing
- Why you have a staff-revolving-door
- Why your customers are leaving
- Why people donâ€™t seem to listen to you
- Why people donâ€™t see how truly great your product is
- Why people are leaving your church for the one down the street
- Why you loved your job last year and hate it today
- Why ____________________ (fill in the blank)
Consultants are strategic leadership doctors! Â So hire a consultant or coach and do it this week! Â If you wait excuses will creep up and keep you from making a great leadership choice. Â Whether itâ€™s myself or someone else, figure out how and when to hire a consultantâ€¦youâ€™ll be making a tragic leadership mistake if you donâ€™t.