I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Did you know there are 27 millions slaves in the world today? In fact, there are more slaves on earth today than in all the years of the slave trade combined. That’s not to lessen the horrors of the slave trade era, but to show you how horrendous and widespread slavery still is (from Diana Scimone).
Here are the facts about this pandemic – I hope you’ll wrestle, pray over, struggle with and share these:
- Human trafficking is the 2nd-largest illegal industry on the planet–after illegal drugs. (It used to be #3, but was just moved up.)
- It is organized crime with networks, funding, resources, routes, and structure.
- Human trafficking generates billions of dollars a year.
- It’s the fastest-growing illegal enterprise on earth.
- You can sell a gun or drug only once, but you can sell a human over and over.
- Human trafficking is not smuggling. People who are smuggled do so willingly. There is nothing voluntary about trafficking. It involves force, fraud, and coercion.
- Trafficking and slavery happens in every country–including yours.
- About 17,500 foreigners are trafficked into the US from other countries–each year.
- About 200,000 American children are at high risk for trafficking in the US, especially in the sex industry.
Want more information?
Some say that we could end slavery in 25 years. What do you think?