For the past 5 years I have attended the Creative Church Conference (C3) at Fellowship Church in Grapevine, TX. This year, due to being so new to my church and out of town Monday and Tuesday, I missed my first C3 conference. For more detailed highlights, check out Tony Morgan’s blog. Perry Noble also posted highlights from each of the speakers. Here they are:
Ed Young, Jr. – Ed does not hold back on what he is thinkingâ€¦and some of THE main points I took away from him wereâ€¦
- Iâ€™ve got to carve out more time to think â€œwhat ifâ€ thoughts
- He said, â€œWhen pride walks on the stage, God walks off!â€Â (This was an awesome reminder to remember WHO is doing all of this AWESOME stuff!)
- Iâ€™ve got to be willing to deal with the issues that the Holy Spirit brings to my attention.
- Little people with little vision will always attack big people with big vision
Craig Groeschel – I have heard this guy speak twice nowâ€¦and BOTH times God used him to challenge me and make me incredibly uncomfortableâ€¦
- â€œIâ€™ve insulted God by dreaming too small.â€
- You can be a full time pastor and a part time follower of Christ.
- â€œMy kids will know me as daddy, not â€˜pastor,â€™â€
- Iâ€™ve got to â€œplay hurt.â€Â People will hurt you, the ministry will hurt youâ€¦and you still have to play!
- Your ministry will never outgrow your threshold for pain.
- God uses idiots!
- Look at who Jesus surrounded Himself withâ€“not one Scribe, not one Pharisee, not one Sadduceeâ€¦they were all â€œidiots!â€Â (See Acts 4:13)
- Most churches who are looking for a pastor want someone with at least five years of ministry experience, who has a seminary degreeâ€¦and at least five years of ministry experienceâ€“which means that JESUS would not be qualified to pastor most churches in the USA!!!
Mark Driscoll – this dude is a certified Jesus freakâ€¦I love this guyâ€¦he brought itâ€¦
- Jesus loves my church more than meâ€“and when I am offâ€“He is still ON IT!
- The Pharisees murdered Jesus because He wasnâ€™t â€œgood enough!â€
- The religious critics are like referees, they arenâ€™t playing the game, they arenâ€™t putting any points on the board, but they love the jersey and the whistle and pointing out peopleâ€™s problems
- Religious people care about things that no one else cares aboutâ€“including God!
Dr. Ed Young (Edâ€™s dad) – this guy rocked my worldâ€¦he is 70, has three boys in the ministry, has a solid marriageâ€“leads a large churchâ€¦and is full of life.Â He is PROOF that it CAN BE DONE!!!
- If the church wants to do serious missionsâ€“it needs to reach KIDS!!!
- Reaching kids is evangelism!
- Out of the kids who are BROUGHT UP IN CHURCHâ€“only ONE out of EIGHT are still there when they reach the age of 22.Â (Maybe thatâ€™s because they were treated like second class citizens as kids and teens!!!)
- The church has a product (the good news), a mission statement (Matthew 28:18-20), a marketing strategy (Acts 1:8) and profit (changed lives!)